Monday, October 17, 2011

Case Study #61 - October 13, 2011 - You Are My Sunshine!

Welcome to another week of Case Study with inspiration provided by muse Niki Estes!  This week Niki came up with this fabulous red flower creation with cloth backing.  As I have never put fabric to paper before I totally CASEd Niki's card.  I thought her card was perfect - so why reinvent the wheel right?  I decided that like a recipe - I needed to know what it's supposed to taste like before I go fiddling around with the ingredients. 
I can't resist trying something new so I went looking for a big flower stamp.  I found this bright sunflower.  Gotta love a tall sunflower out in the middle of your garden in the summer time......  Then  I got out some denim fabric (come on.... sunflowers and denim.... YES!) and a piercing tool to get my holes nice and even, but when I sewed it by hand it looked terribly crooked. Off to plan two - I grabbed some old fiddlers cloth from my cross stitching days and went to work on that.  I didn't do any piercing - I just followed the holes in the fabric.  Instead of a straight line I did a pattern of straight stitch and half diamonds.   I like the rustic look of the fiddlers cloth with the sunflower.  I didn't have a stamp with the Sunshine sentiment I wanted so I just typed it in Word with Courier New 20 pt. and there you have it.  I can't tell if Niki double cut the flower or not, but I did to give it a little more texture.  I also roughed up the edges of the gold paper to keep it really casual looking. 
 I do have a sewing machine - actually it belongs to my husband - but I have no clue how to use it.
 I'm glad I tried this and I kept it simple for my first go round.  I think if I try this one again I will go for a shimmery satin fabric and make a ribbon flower.  Maybe I will even learn how to use that old sewing machine to keep everything nice and even!!  Who knows.... could happen!!
Supplies Used:           Finished Size is 4.25" x 6"
Stamp:  Sunflower Rubber Stampeede
Markers:  Copic
Font:  Word Courier New - 20 Pt.

7 comments:

Aleksandra said...

Wooow... I absolutely love it! It is so bright and sunny, the stitching is perfect and the flower is soooo beautiful! Great CASE-ing.

Have a fabulous day!
Aleksandra

Cathy Weber said...

I love the stitching on this card. It is so striking and that great big sunflower, just beautifully colored and popped up and layered. Those leaves are shaded so they almost look real.

Iwona Palamountain (Chupa) said...

Oh. My. Word. This card is absolutely breathtaking!!!

Vickie Z said...

Gorgeous sunflower and love the stitching!!!

Suzanne Russell said...

Congratulations on a well deserved win at CASE Study! Great colors, great take on Nicki's card, just terrific all way round!

Michelle said...

Jeanne, this is stunning! I had to pop by to see if you hand-stitched, because the stitching just makes this card even more amazing! Congratulations on the win, you totally deserve it with this beautiful card.

Auntie Em said...

Your flower and linen cards are all so pretty! I love the fraying and the mix of stitches. Too cute!
Thanks for sharing! :)